Saturday Part II -- Kek Lok Si

After Penang Hill, my guides suggested we make a visit to the Kek Lok Si Temple, which is the largest Buddhist temple in Malaysia. Known as the "Temple of Supreme Bliss," Kek Lok Si construction was started in 1890. It was pretty impressive; the most impressive part was the seven story pagoda.



This place was lavish, colorful, and a giant maze of outdoor gardens, worship rooms, and Buddha statues. It was like nothing I'd even before. From various areas we could see great views of the city too.



In one of the buildings there were a pair of 20 ft. golden Buddha
statues. If you look closely you'll notice this guy is stepping on a peon's head; he looks angry!



My samurai guides and I climbed the seven story pagoda to the very top where we enjoyed more awe-inspiring views. Each level had a balcony with some sort of Buddha statue. I wonder if each level had a symbolic meaning similar to the seven levels of purgatory ... food for thought.

The Kek Lok Si adventure turned out to be much more interesting than I'd anticipated and made very worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment