Saturday Part III -- Georgetown

Back at the hotel I got cleaned up and ready for the next chapter in my adventure, which would turn out to be a meandering journey. The aimless excursion to Georgetown was by design. Georgetown, a nearby district of Penang, is 3 miles from my hotel and is famous for its rustic Chinatown, lively Little India, and British Colonial sites. I was excited to check it out.

I decided to hoof it (that means walk for any city slickers out there), even after my strenuous Penang Hill hike and seven story pagoda climb. I'm a little loco, that's how I roll.

Unfortunately I COMPLETELY underestimated the maze of Georgetown streets. It was ridiculously convoluted with curving roads, dead-end alleys, and decrepit buildings. Most of it looked like pretty rough neighborhoods; I was by myself and lost; my heart rate and pace quickened. At one point I saw a bank guard with a shotgun on the sidewalk, WHOA! I passed through Chinatown pretty unimpressed, but Little India was bumpin'. I think this area of town really comes alive more in the late evenings though.

I passed by the impressive Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower on the way to Fort Cornwallis. This Fort, known to be the biggest in Malaysia, is situated at the spot where Francis Light landed in 1786.



Fort Cornwallis was very lightly fortified. I could have stormed it with my two samurai sidekicks, some sticky bombs, a glock, and 30 ft. of rope. At one of the galleries inside, I read the following.

Even though the fort was originally built for the Royal artillery troops and the military, its function historically was more administrative rather than defense. In its entire history, the fort had never been engaged in any battle.

NEVER IN A BATTLE! What?!? I thus question whether this landmark qualifies as a fort. Cornwallis did have a rockin cannon that the locals believe will increase fertility of their women.

There was also some mock prisoners in an old jail cell ... I must say they were pretty nice accommodations for 18th century criminals. I wandered about Georgetown a bit more and it started to grow on me. Despite the gloomy surroundings, everyone was friendly and there were some cool shops. I taxied and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment